More stories below from this week (click on bolded words for more information):
- Nicola L., an overlooked female pioneer of the Pop Art movement, has died at 81.
- Nicola L. leaves behind a legacy of fearless, offbeat sculpture.
- 19 unmissable museum shows to see in Europe in 2019.
- PODCAST: The Best of 2018 by Charlotte Burns.
- Arty films and books to watch out for in 2019.
- 11 places to travel for creative inspiration in 2019.
- January gallery shows to see around the world.
- The largest Picasso exhibition in China will open this year.
- Masterpieces of 20th-century art that just entered the public domain on January 1.
- A Las Vegas hotel will put Damien Hirst’s 60-foot tall demon in its swimming pool.
- Why becoming a national treasure can lower an artwork’s value.
- Trump’s tax Act offers potential tax havens for art.
- An ethereal painting of the Doge’s Palace by Claude Monet could sell for $35 million at Sotheby’s.
- Legendary old master dealer Richard Feigen is selling his own collection to fund his retirement.
- National Gallery of Art closes to public in Washington, D.C. as a result of government shutdown.
- Musée d’Orsay closes amid Yellow Vests protest in Paris.
- Ruth Estévez named senior curator-at-large of Rose Art Museum.
- Lauren Wittels named partner at Luhring Augustine Gallery.
- See inside the all-female conservation studio dedicated to saving Renaissance treasures.
- Basquiat hid secret drawings in his work using invisible UV paint, a conservator has discovered.
- Paris’s blockbuster Basquiat show will be nearly impossible to stage again.
- Sean Kelly gallery moves into Taipei with exhibition of works by Callum Innes.
Hannah Wilke’s naked crusade to subvert the patriarchy.
- Court dismisses sexual harassment lawsuit against Artforum and Knight Landesman.
- Kendrick Lamar resolves artist’s copyright lawsuit over ‘Black Panther’ video.
- Two artists of color boldly provoke a conservative museum locked in the past.
- African-American fakes are on the rise.
- Argentine authorities seize more than 30 works of art from former President Cristina Kirchner.
- Florence’s Uffizi Gallery says Germany has ‘moral duty’ to return Nazi-looted painting.
- Constructivism brought the Russian revolution to the art world.
- The curious subculture of diagnosing dead artists by their work.
- Artist M.C. Escher spent a lifetime distorting perspective.
- Hans Ulrich Obrist as you’ve never seen him before.
- The colorful and clairvoyant history of aura photography.
- Can artists’ relationships with nature kindle humility and respect for our environment?
- Artists and designers serve up their prized dishes in this ongoing Artist’s Palate series.
- Masayo Fukuda shows off stunning octopus cut from a single piece of paper.
How studying your dreams can help your art practice.
5 ways artists can overcome creative block.
13 artists who highlight the power of words.
- The endless inventions of Bruce Nauman.